Activity Holidays - UK - February 2010
This report provides an overview of trends in activity holidays, investigating the core market factors, strengths and weaknesses, consumer dynamics, and likely future developments.
- The recession put a stop to five years of growth in activity holidays, with an estimated 16% fall in activity breaks during 2009.
- There are signs that activity holidays are no longer just the preserve of young adrenaline junkies, but are becoming more ‘mainstream’, attracting more women, more over-50s and more families.
- For many Britons, fly and flop is hardwired into their travel DNA: almost half of consumers would “prefer to go on a relaxing holiday” than an activity holiday: the idea of exertion on holiday is simply anathema.
- Walking/trekking is the most popular form of activity holiday, accounting for almost four in ten activity trips. A quarter of the adult population have been on a walking holiday at some point in their lives.
- Comfortably-off pre-family group are the most likely to have been on an activity holiday, followed by third agers. The family market has been hardest hit by the recession but shows strongest potential for new customers.
- Escaping the pressures of everyday life, an opportunity to make new friends and self-improvement are three of the most popular reasons for going on an activity holiday.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.