Adult Obesity and Diabetes - US - August 2009
More than 150 million adults in the US are overweight or obese, and this affects businesses in diverse categories, including food service, supermarkets, airlines, healthcare, and weight loss. Understanding the needs, desires, and motivations of the overweight and obese population is essential to the success of countless corporations.
At the same time, the number of Americans with diabetes has increased some 44% in the last ten years, to 36.4 million in 2008, according to the CDC. An additional 57 million Americans are pre-diabetic, according to the ADA. Along with the growing number of obese adults, we will continue to see growth in the number of people with diabetes.
This report examines:
- The many causes contributing to the obesity epidemic, including increased caloric consumption, suburban sprawl, and depression
- Specific strategies that companies can use to meet the needs of the overweight, obese, and people with diabetes
- Attitudes that overweight and obese respondents have towards shopping, diet, weight loss products, etc., along with specific recommendations for addressing their concerns and increasing sales
- Suggestions for new products and strategies for reaching these demographics
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.