Allergies and Allergy Remedies - UK - February 2010
- An estimated 21 million adults in the UK suffer from at least one allergy, with 10m suffering from more than one. Opportunities exist in the allergy testing sector as only half of sufferers have been medically diagnosed.
- A quarter of adults believe that nearly everyone claims to be allergic to something these days. In many ways, people like to be defined by their allergies, supporting the notion that allergies are a ‘modern illness’.
- More than seven in ten allergy sufferers use medication to treat allergies. Instant relief products such as nasal sprays and eye drops are seeing the fastest growth, albeit from a small base.
- Under-35 year old adults are more likely to suffer from three or more allergies. Yet the people in this group are less likely to have their allergies diagnosed by a medical professional, instead identifying a number of most likely allergens themselves. As a result, they may wrongly believe that they are allergic to a number of things.
- Directly affected by their allergies, almost a third of allergy sufferers have had to change their lifestyle to reduce their allergic reactions.
- Although less than one in ten allergy sufferers choose to do nothing about their allergies, most will use a combination of avoiding allergy triggers and medicating symptoms.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.