American Families and Dining Out - US - February 2011
American families that share meals together are more likely to be happier and healthier, according to research conducted by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA). Mintel’s custom consumer research reveals that the vast majority of families frequently dine together at restaurants. This means the foodservice industry plays an integral role in the lives of American families.
This report explores the factors that shape how families eat at restaurants. Mintel provides valuable insights that can help you make informed decisions in tailoring marketing messages to families, launching new menu items with family appeal, and identifying opportunities as they pertain to American families and dining out. Insights into, along with meaningful analysis and discussion of, the following topics are included:
- Restaurant industry sales and market outlook
- Recessionary factors that contribute to troubled restaurant sales
- Trends in annual spending on food away from home by family consumer units
- Effects of demographic shifts on restaurant usage, with particular focus on the child population and Hispanics
- Discussion of health and wellness trends as they apply to families, along with the subsequent impact on restaurant usage
- Trends for at-home dining by families, and ways restaurants can entice families to dine out
- Menu analysis by daypart, menu item, kids’ meals, price, and marketing claim, underscored with industry examples
- Analysis of family-centric marketing and promotional strategies by leading restaurant operators
- Family restaurant usage by weekday and weekend use; daypart; and restaurant segment
- Family habits and rationales for dining out, with special focus on how the recession has impacted family dining habits
- What parents want to see on kids’ menus, as well as interest in healthy/nutritional meals for both parents and kids
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.