American Lifestyles - US - January 2010
A variety of measures indicate that the economy did not significantly improve in 2009, as many had hoped. Unemployment rose steadily throughout the first three quarters of 2009 and reached a 28-year high of 10.2% in October. Consumer confidence climbed from the unprecedented lows observed in Q1 but remained at historically low levels throughout the year. These factors and others are driving changes in American lifestyles at a macro level. Most consumers have become much more frugal and this has created a very challenging environment for manufacturers and retailers from a variety of industries.
Given the fact that many companies are finding it harder than ever to turn a profit, it is especially important to carefully examine American lifestyles in order to optimize marketing and product development efforts while identifying areas of potential growth.
This report addresses the following questions:
- At a macro level, how does economic performance in 2009 compare with 2008 and previous years?
- How has the recession impacted American lifestyles in 2009?
- Did Americans become more optimistic and willing to spend in 2009, compared with 2008?
- What channels tend to perform relatively well or very well during recession?
- How have changes in American lifestyles impacted the willingness of Americans to increase spending in various food and non-food categories?
- How have entertainment habits changed during the recession?
- How have media consumption habits changed since the recession began?
- How have sales of eco-friendly and “ethical” products fluctuated during the recession?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.