Attitudes to Traditional Advertising - US - November 2011
There has been a seismic shift in consumer attitudes toward traditional advertising and in the way that marketers spend money on traditional ads. The growth of the internet as a substitute/supplement to TV and widespread DVR use has resulted in a viewer that is often distracted and able to skip commercials entirely. In the print industry, marketers have reacted to plummeting readership with a significant decline in traditional spending and in the creation of a strategy of new integrated media.
In this report, Mintel looks at how the rules of the game are changing, as marketers struggle to better reach their targets through traditional media and integrate marketing efforts across traditional and new media platforms. Specifically, the report explores such topics as:
- How has the internet’s impact on news and information-gathering, leisure activities, and modes of communication changed attitudes towards advertising?
- How has the growth of DVR use, “time-shifting” and the ability to skip commercials changed the way that viewers think about ads? How have marketers responded?
- Do all demographics treat DVRs the same? Which viewers are still paying attention to traditional ads?
- Which forms of traditional advertising have recovered in 2010 and why?
- How can traditional advertisements be used in conjunction with new media advertisements in multi-platform campaigns?
- How have tablets affected the print advertising industry? In what ways are marketers connected to tablet readers?
- What are innovative ways that traditional media have been used in the last year?
- Will consumers continue to watch television at its broadcast time?
- How can new technology offer marketers a chance to monetize old programming with new product placements?
- How can new technology be used in marketing to younger demographics?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.