Attitudes towards Advertising - Ireland - November 2011
The advertising industry is being heavily impacted by technological developments; whilst television remains the most popular advertising medium (with over seven in ten consumers identifying TV as the advertising medium they pay most attention to), online media players and time-shifted viewing via personal video recorders (PVRs) are stealing market share.
Meanwhile developments in mobile communications and next-generation broadband are both driving usage of apps and location-based services, and increasing exposure to online adverts (which are themselves becoming more sophisticated). Revenues in the advertising industry across Ireland are estimated at €1.41 billion for 2011, with growth of 5% anticipated for 2012.
Key questions answered in the report include:
- Which advertising format do consumers pay the most attention to? – Having been the dominant advertising medium for so long, does TV still hold sway over other media types?
- Are consumers overwhelmed by the range of advertising they are exposed to? – As technology offers ever increasing means for consumers to be contacted and targeted, do consumers feel bombarded by advertising?
- Do consumers believe that advertisements can be damaging? – Should there be further limitations on advertising of the products, eg the ongoing Oireachtas report on alcohol marketing and its effects on young people?
- Is technology a help or a hindrance to advertising? – Whilst some platforms can expect to see growth (eg online), is technology damaging other media (eg skipping adverts through PVRs)?
- How are advertisers expanding their proposition? – 2011 has seen huge growth in the usage of Quick Response (QR) codes, whilst outdoor specialists continue to innovate with digital displays: what lies ahead for further development?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.