Attitudes Towards Health - Stress - UK - January 2010
This report explores today’s stressed-out consumer. It investigates the biggest triggers of stress and identifies ways to respond to this through new product development, marketing campaigns or corporate initiatives.
- ‘Unwind’ positioning claims have plenty of scope to be developed further. An estimated 40 million adults have tensions or worries, yet just 3% of all FMCG launches across beauty and personal care, household, healthcare and food and drink claim to de-stress or relax.
- Women demonstrate worry more about others than men do. They are more likely to find relief from tension and worries by doing something for themselves finding home pampering products and indulgent snacks and massages appealing.
- Many adults believe that going to the doctor or seeking professional medical help as admitting defeat and very much a last-resort option. Sixteen million adults feel more comfortable talking to family and friends first.
- Used by just 2 million adults, complementary medicines may be seen as an over-the-counter alternative to antidepressants, which are still surrounded by much stigma.
- Getting out of the house and away from stress triggers such as chores, bills and family members is spurring people to book holidays or escape to the cinema, golf course or salon.
- Stress provides innovation opportunities for healthcare products. Stress is the most commonly reported trigger of headaches, back and neck pain and consumer data shows that an estimated 32 million adults suffered from headaches in 2009. Innovation in analgesics/ relaxants could focus on stress-related aches and pains. Incorporating aromatherapy oils for inhalation could also offer multi-sensory relief.
- Adults aged between 35 and 44 years old present the greatest opportunity to manufacturers of stress relief products. Despite a forecast decline in the number of adults in this age group, they have a higher propensity to buy into a range of products when tense than other age groups.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.