Babies' and Children's Personal Care Products, Nappies and Wipes - UK - March 2015
“As the baby boom shows evidence of coming to an end, it may be more relevant for the category to focus on toddlers rather than new-borns. Extending product ranges for older children and offering greater product segmentation by age could be a way to ensure the category shows growth. Greater transparency in ingredients also offers opportunities, as parents show evidence of becoming more ingredient-savvy. Discount retailers have shown strong growth in the category and hamper overall growth in value. Retailers can remain competitive with special offers across product ranges to drive trial.”
– Roshida Khanom, Senior Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Baby boom comes to an end
- Parents are becoming more ingredient-savvy/sophisticated in their knowledge
- Discount retailers are taking a bigger slice of the pie
The babies’ and children’s personal care, nappies and wipes market has shown a decline in value in 2014, as the baby boom shows evidence of coming to an end. The number of live births recorded by the ONS (Office for National Statistics) declined by 4% in 2013 suggesting that the category may struggle to show growth in value again. A lack of NPD (New Product Development), as well as reduced investment in advertising, has also contributed to the decline. With half of parents who buy nappies and wipes bulk buying during times of special offer, low prices are driving down the value of the overall category.
The banning of a number of preservatives from use in leave-on products for babies in 2015 will likely boost NPD in the category as brands look to reformulate. Sales are also expected to benefit, particularly as some parents feel that ingredients in personal care products can be harmful to children and babies. Indeed, product positioning claims have already begun to see more of a movement away from generic botanical claims to the more health-driven hypoallergenic and paraben-free claims to help alleviate concerns.
Within this report we investigate the products parents are purchasing in the personal care, nappies and wipes segments and attitudes towards shopping for each segment. This report also investigates where parents are buying products, as well as overall attitudes towards babies’ and children’s personal care products.
For the purposes of this report, children are defined as under the age of 5.
This report covers the market for babies’ and children’s toiletries and skincare products, nappies and wipes, including:
- Baby wipes and pre-moistened tissues
- Shampoo and haircare products
- Bath, shower and wash products
- Skincare products such as lotion, powder and oil
- Oral hygiene products such as toothpastes
- Suncare products for babies and children
- Disposable nappies Disposable training nappies/pants
- Disposable baby wipes aimed exclusively at baby usage.
- Toiletries, skincare, make-up and fragrances used by children, but which are not specifically targeted at them
- Cotton wool, facial wipes used when nappy changing and cotton buds
- Non-disposable terry towelling cloth nappies are outside the scope of this report
- Disposable nappy liners for use with towelling nappies
- Incontinence products used by adults
- All adult-targeted clean-up wipes for removing make-up, moistened toilet tissue and feminine hygiene wipes
- Toddler/children’s toilet wipes, such as Kandoo toilet wipes Bed protection pads or mats.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.