Beauty Online - UK - December 2010
Beauty is a small, yet rapidly developing online market. It has more than doubled in size between 2005 and 2010 to an estimated value of £420 million and experienced a hike in the number of shoppers in first quarter of 2010.
- A successful start to 2010 saw growing numbers of internet users shop online for cosmetics, fragrances and toiletries. Purchase penetration peaked at 17% (November 2009 to January 2010), after a strong Christmas period. Mintel estimates sales of beauty products online at £420 million in 2010, equivalent to 5% of the cosmetics and toiletries market.
- Customers stand to reap more rewards from loyalty schemes in the future, as retailers consider introducing points-based programmes, while Boots has pioneered partnerships with other retailers to benefit Advantage Card holders.
- Fragrance represents one of the best prospects in the online beauty market for future sales. Over a third (36%) of consumers say they would consider buying scent in a future purchase.
- Government demographic projections show that the number of 25-34-year-olds will rise by 11.4% (936,000) within the next five years. Mintel research shows that this age group is most likely to buy beauty online (55% vs. 44% of all adults).The rise in ABs by 6.7% (727,000) will also favour the market as this socio-economic group are also most like to buy beauty online (49%).
- The increase in fibre optic broadband packages is rapidly growing, enabling consumers to fully utilise site features and interactive tools.
- Perhaps the most promising strength of the market is the innovation amongst online retailers. More retailers are engaging consumers with tutorial videos, implementing user-generated content, search and selection tools, sampling and expert panels to enrich user experience and bring beauty products to life.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.