Beer and Cider - Ireland - January 2012
Alcohol consumption levels within Ireland decreased between 2007 and 2011, leading to an impact on the beer and cider market. In particular the pub trade has decreased in value, with 30,000 jobs having been lost in RoI alone since 2007.
Pressure has been put on on-trade sales, due to increasing sales within the off-trade due to below-cost selling of alcohol. In addition, consumers’ decreasing affinity with the pub, along with increasing living costs, has led to a major decline in sales within the industry.
However, sales within the cider market are not as poor as the beer industry, with the cider market experiencing growth within Ireland in 2011. These positive results within the cider industry are due to a reinvigorated market due to an increased level of innovation resulting in increased flavour and product innovation.
Some questions answered in this report include:
- The decreasing pub industry in Ireland – How have pub sales decreased and how has the trend for in-home consumption of alcohol impacted on pubs throughout Ireland?
- Need for legislation reform – How would the introduction of a minimum price per unit of alcohol impact the on- and off-trade? What other legislative changes would stimulate trade within the on-trade in Ireland?
- Health and wellness trend – How have consumers’ increased concerns for their health and wellness impacted on beer and cider drinking habits? Has this trend led to an increase in consumption of non-alcoholic beer and cider drinks?
- What are the current innovations within the beer and cider categories – How are beer manufacturers trying to increase beer consumption, and how have cider manufacturers addressed the issue of seasonal consumption?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.