Beer - US - January 2016
This report includes volume and value sales data for domestic and imported beer for home (off-premise) and on-premise consumption. However, most discussion and analyses are centered on off-premise beer consumption and purchase behavior.
The report covers the following beer segments named by the Beverage Information & Insight Group in its 2015 Beer Handbook:
- Light beer (including low-calorie brands such as Miller 64 and Bud Select 55)
- Imported beer (including imported light beer brands)
- Super-premium and premium beer (such as Budweiser’s Black Crown or Leinenkugel’s, as well as “mass-craft” brands like Blue Moon and Shock Top)
- Craft beer (such as Lagunitas, Boston Beer Co., and Sierra Nevada, which are also referred to as “true-craft”* in this report)
- Popular beer (such as Budweiser, Busch, and Miller. Also referred to as regular domestic beer in this report)
- Ice beer (such as Natural Ice or Icehouse)
- Malt liquor
* “True-craft” beer refers to artisan-style beers, typically associated with small, independent local or regional brewers. Based on the definition developed by the Brewers Association, true-craft brands must meet specific criteria pertaining to annual production volume (less than 6 million barrels), ownership (less than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled by an alcoholic beverage industry member that is not itself a craft brewer), and beer type/production (that is deemed traditional or innovative).
The styles and positioning characterized by true-craft beer also have been acquired and/or adopted by larger brewing corporations including Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors, which Mintel has included in this report, referred to as “mass-craft” beer.
Both true- and mass-craft brands contribute to the overall market size of this report. Where possible, Mintel discusses true-craft and mass-craft beer brands and products independently.
In addition to beer, there are data tables and analyses for the hard cider segment in this report. Non-alcoholic beer is also discussed to a small extent but sales figures aren’t tabulated on their own for this segment.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.