Blacks and Personal Care - US - March 2011
It is important that marketers of personal care products that plan to target the African-American market understand the vast differences in Black skincare and haircare needs compared to that of other races. These specific needs are not just related to African Americans but to all people of sub-Saharan African origin. Black Caribbean, Hispanic, African and South American immigrants may share the same skin and hair characteristics. References to the skin and hair care needs of African Americans herein apply to the entire Black population.
Although they have a number of unique skincare challenges in areas such as shaving and anti-aging products, Black consumers are less likely to be impressed by the latest technological advances and more interested in natural products that improve the condition of their skin and hair without causing irritation. This report will answer several questions, including, but not limited to:
- What are the unique Black skin and hair care needs and how do they differ from those of other ethnic groups?
- What ingredients are important to Black consumers? What ingredients should they avoid?
- Are products designed especially for Black consumers important?
- How important are cultural keywords and images to the Black consumer? And what are those keywords?
- What advertising messages are most important to African Americans? And which advertisers are getting it right?
- How important is brand to the Black personal care shopper?
- What are the differences between how African Americans shop for personal care products versus other races? What lessons can be learned?
- How effective is cents-off couponing to the purchase of personal care items? And what are the best ways to deliver coupons to this audience?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.