Bread and Baked Goods - UK - October 2015
"Health-related concerns are amongst the key barriers to more frequent usage of packaged sliced bread among infrequent users. Among these concerns, carbohydrates and calorie content are on a par."
- Amy Price, Senior Food and Drink Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Interest in healthier varieties of bread could help to alleviate concerns
- Pushing indulgence could help to position bread as more of a treat
- NPD offers a route to stand out in a crowded and declining market
Total sales of bread and baked goods grew by almost 8% over 2010-15, with volumes seeing a 0.7% fall over this period.
Eight in 10 UK adults buy packaged sliced loaves of bread and nine in 10 eat it, demonstrating the popularity of the product as a household staple. Value sales saw a decline over 2014-15, however, impacting sales in the overall market, prepacked bread accounting for more than two fifths of the bread and baked goods market.
Health-related concerns are amongst the key barriers to more frequent usage of packaged sliced bread among infrequent users. Among these concerns, carbohydrates and calorie content are on a par. This report examines the retail market for bread and baked goods in the UK.
This report examines the retail market for bread and baked goods in the UK. For the purpose of this report the market is classified as follows
- Mintel’s definition follows the classification used in the baking industry, and includes a wide variety of both traditional British products and other breads not of UK origin.
- Traditional British breads include: white, brown and wholemeal, which may be sliced or unsliced, wrapped or unwrapped. A distinction is drawn between bread that is baked by plant/factory bakeries and stocked on grocery shelves (also called prepacked bread), and bread that is baked by in-store bakers. Part-baked products are also included.
Sweet Baked Goods:
- The sweet baked goods market can be subdivided into: brioche loaves and rolls, croissants, crumpets, English muffins, farls, fruit loaves, hot cross buns, Irish bread, malt loaves, pains au chocolat and raisins, pikelets, potato cakes, scones, teacakes, American muffins, fruit buns and iced buns.
- Doughnuts are also included in the market value as they are stocked with other baked goods.
- Please note that the market size for this report differs from the Mintel Market Sizes Sweet Bakery market size because MMS Sweet Bakery includes other products such as chilled cakes, pies and tarts, which are outside the scope of this report, and outside the scope of the market size for this report.
- The market size for this report differs from the MMS Bread and Bread Products market size because MMS Bread and Bread Products includes savoury pastries and pies (eg meat pies/quiche) which are outside the scope of this report. MMS Bread and Bread Products also exclude unpackaged/unwrapped products and sweet baked goods such as croissants and fruit loaf, which are included within the market size for this report.
- For the purposes of this report, the speciality bread market is taken to include: bagels, baguettes, pittas, wraps, chapattis, naan breads, panini and garlic bread (brown, seeded and white, but excluding chilled garlic bread).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.