Breakfast Eating Habits - UK - February 2011
Consumers have an established habit of eating breakfast at home every day, making this part of their daily routine. This habit has become more pronounced as consumers see breakfast at home as a cost-effective option that enables them to make their discretionary income go further. This report examines consumer breakfast eating habits, and evaluates how changing family lifestyles are impacting on this meal occasion, in order to understand what this means for marketeers, retailers and suppliers.
- The importance of breakfast is shown by the fact that nearly two thirds of consumers view breakfast as part of their daily routine. It is typically older consumers that are most likely to agree with this opinion (76% of over-55s and 83% of the retired).
- Consumers aged 16-24 are twice as likely to agree that they do not have time to eat breakfast, with agreement declining with age, which seems to suggest that it’s more of a cultural change with less emphasis now put on the importance of eating breakfast.
- Almost half of all consumers agreed that they ate breakfast at home more often in order to save money, with this rising to 59% among 16-24s. This suggests that eating breakfast out of the home is viewed as a luxury or at least something that can easily be cut back on.
- Only 5% of consumers currently eat breakfast out of the home, while 61% say they never do. This compares to the 67% that regularly eat breakfast at home.
- Two thirds of children aged 7-10 agree that breakfast is the most important meal in the day. However, as children get older, attitudes change, and as they reach their teenage years they are less likely to value breakfast as an important daily meal.
- Just over half of all consumers eat cold cereal for breakfast, with penetration rising to 63% among 16-24s. Cold cereal is a quick and convenient breakfast option and is one where innovation has traditionally focused on appealing to the younger end of the spectrum.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.