Car Brands - UK - July 2009
In the largest sales category, volume brands, brands are closely matched with no little differentiation in the mind of the consumer. Brand image and reputation are the common weaknesses for volume brands. A volume brand that could cultivate a distinctive brand image or reputation, perhaps through niche semi-premium products, that differentiates it from its main competitors could increase share in this segment.
- Consumers often aspire to owning premium car brands but end up purchasing volume brands: cost considerations (purchase price and running costs) win the day. The choice is often a new volume brand or a used premium brand in the £7000-£10,000 price range which accounts for 25% of all car purchases.
- Is car buying an emotional journey or a rational process? Mintel’s car brands research shows that different brands have different purchase processes.
- Mintel’s car brands research shows that different brands have different purchase processes. Volume brand car buying is primarily a rational process based on economic fundamentals such as price and fuel consumption. In contrast, premium brands car buying is more of an emotional process based on style, design, comfort and brand image. For greater success, car manufacturers need to develop stronger emotional responses and ties to their car brands.
- Purchase criteria and brand preference differs between men and women car buyers. Men place greater emphasis on build quality, comfort and brand image. Women place more importance on price reliability and safety. The result is that men prefer the premium brands and women prefer volume brands.
- Car manufacturers want to attract and retain customers throughout his/ her car-owning lifecycle to include used cars, new cars, aftersales and service. But the extent of a customer’s brand loyalty may extend to just one model or one model derivative. This result? Brand loyalty is both transient and only model-specific.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.