Carbonated Beverages - US - August 2010
Overall, sales growth of carbonated soft drinks (CSDs) has been generally stagnant in recent years due to rising demand for bottled water, functional beverages (including energy drinks) and some better-for-you (BFY) alternatives. However, a few brands have reported impressive growth in the last year due in part to new distribution agreements. Some manufacturers are also positioning their brands to capitalize on emerging taste preferences, while others have created innovative new social media and brand community initiatives that are truly engaging customers in the brand, thereby driving growth and garnering loyalty. Clearly, this is a very competitive time in the CSD market, yet it is also one in which companies with a keen focus on consumer attitudes and behavior can reap significant profits. In order to provide insight that can be used to help inform new product development, product refinement and marketing efforts, this report addresses the following questions:
- How have sales of CSDs fluctuated in recent years and how are they likely to change in the next five years?
- Which categories compete directly with CSDs and how are changes in pricing and retail distribution impacting overall sales?
- How are sales of seltzer/tonic water/club soda growing relative to sales of diet and regular carbonated soft drinks?
- How are health and wellness, as well as economic trends impacting the market?
- Who are the leading companies and what brands are performing well despite challenging market conditions?
- How are changes in the incidence and frequency of use impacting overall sales?
- How are perceptions of sweeteners including Stevia and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) impacting sales?
- What factors motivate consumers to drink soda?
- What segments of the population continue to drink soda in large numbers and which are abandoning the category in greater numbers?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.