Carbonated Soft Drinks - US - February 2012
The carbonated soft drinks market suffered a sales decline in 2011, as two of the three segments that comprise the market exhibited a poor performance. During 2010-11, the largest segment, regular soda, declined by 2% while the second-biggest segment, diet soda, fell by 2.1%. Soda is the most-consumed nonalcoholic beverage in the U.S., however with sales remaining flat over the past five years, it would seem that the category has seen its peak and is now retreating. Therefore, the biggest growth driving strategy would be to bring excitement to the category.
On other fronts, soda is repeatedly blamed for obesity, and proponents of obesity-reduction programs continue to clamor to tax the beverage. Many key consumer groups also appear to be leaving the category for the same reason. This soft drink industry analysis report addresses these and other issues and offers some growth-driving strategies in the market. Some of the issues/opportunities discussed in this report are:
- Trends in the personal consumption of regular soda, diet soda, and sparkling water/seltzer/club soda
- Discussion on which of the key consumer groups are decreasing soda consumption and why
- The soda tax debate and its implications for the market
- Insights on growth-driving opportunities through the use of natural sweeteners
- Exploration of the main attributes that soda buyers look for in regular and diet soda
- Soda buyers’ behavior toward price increases and soda drinkers’ attitudes toward artificial sweeteners
- Attitude toward non-cola soda flavors
- Soda drinkers’ attitude and behavior toward stevia-sweetened soda
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.