Cheese - US - October 2011
The cheese market has not fared well in the economic downturn as consumers cut back and traded down. Total U.S. sales were down in 2009 and 2010, and a meager rebound in 2011 is likely due in part to price increases, more so than volume sales.
However, there is promise for the cheese market. Category players have been innovating and focusing efforts where they are best received by consumers. Overall, flavor innovations are showing promise, and when coupled with the versatility message could significantly encourage product use across the segments. Additionally, products that are better for you (BFY) and better for the planet (BFP) will continue to be growth leaders.
This report provides the reader with essential insights based on current market trends, industry best practices, market data including sales figures at the segment and leading company/brand level, as well as analysis of Mintel’s exclusive custom consumer survey data and Experian Simmons National Consumer Study (NCS) data.
- How to better engage demographics that are not eating enough cheese, including younger adults and households with children
- Why private label has succeeded in growing sales beyond merely the cost advantage
- How rising food prices and commodity costs may adversely impact the market
- Which niche brands are realizing the greatest growth and how others can hitch a ride on that success
- How innovators are best responding to consumer trends of flavor varieties and BFY and BFP
- How companies can best utilize relatively low-cost marketing efforts to broaden product appeal
- Why cheese as a product is particularly sensitive to environmental concerns
- Which cheese varieties are most used by consumers, where they purchase cheese, and what motivates them to purchase
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.