Children's Packed Lunches - UK - December 2010
This report examines the dynamics of the children’s packed lunch sector, and the key products involved in the market. The healthy eating message is now an intrinsic part of the primary school curriculum and children are being taught about the benefits of a healthy and balanced diet.
- About 3.6 million children between the ages of 4 and 15, have a homemade packed lunch, representing a sizeable market for food manufacturers to target.
- Parents of school aged children would be receptive to product launches in the fruit category that meet the tighter government nutritional guidelines, as two fifths of them claim they ensure their child meets their 5-a-day fruit and vegetable requirement.
- New product activity in packed lunch products that offer children a wide range of flavours and tastes would appeal to 55% of parents trying to encourage their children to be more adventurous in their food tastes.
- Older children (aged 10-15) have more influence over the contents of their lunchbox suggesting that products aimed at this demographic need to focus on engaging with them rather than their parents.
- While crisps remain the top snack choice for children, it is parents who are most likely to be buying them for their children, so new product development and marketing campaigns need to address the parents’ concerns as much as their children’s. Healthier products with nutritional benefits would appeal to the parents of the 1.3 million school aged children who avoid buying unhealthy snacks for their children.
- A more collaborative approach between schools and food and drink brands would be very much in line with coalition government thinking and would help raise awareness of healthy eating among lower income families who are less likely to understand which foods are good and bad for them. This would help grow the market for healthier packed lunch products and help in the fight against childhood obesity.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.