Chocolate Confectionery - China - July 2014
“Product innovation is key to business growth, since consumers are open towards new and luxurious chocolate flavours and are willing to pay extra for chocolates with health-enhancing benefits. Meanwhile from an execution perspective, manufacturers could resort to launching seasonal flavours and packaging to both maintain consumer excitement and attract new users.”
– Laurel Gu, Senior Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Functional benefits as a new value proposition
- Seasonal chocolates/limited editions are white spaces to explore
- Exploring indulgent chocolate flavours
For this report, following the same definition as last year, chocolate confectionery is defined as chocolates made from cocoa butter and cocoa butter alternatives (eg made from vegetable oil). The scope of this report analysis and forecast covers both imported and locally made chocolates which are sold in China. In addition, the market size and forecast in this report cover all chocolate sales sold into the China market through retail channels – including both bricks-and-mortar stores and online B2C (business to customer) retailers – eg, company’s official online store, JD.com, etc.
The chocolate confectionery market includes the following segments:
- Tablets – slab or block chocolates where pieces can be broken off. Chocolate tablets are moulded/segmented chocolate in a wide range of sizes from bite-size to “family bars”. Some are filled or contain nuts or raisins and made of different types of chocolate, ie white, milk and dark.
- Individual bars (countlines) – full size individual chocolate bars. It cannot be broken into same size pieces (except KitKat and similar, which are classified as countlines). It can also be sold in different formats, including multipacks, single large pieces or mini sizes.
- Individually wrapped chocolates – boxed but individually wrapped chocolates, and bite-size wrapped chocolates. The chocolates may be solid or filled. Multipacks of tablets and countlines are categorised under tablets and individual bars.
- Non-individually wrapped chocolates – assortments such as M&M’s, boxed and unwrapped chocolates, and bite-size unwrapped chocolates. The chocolates tend to be small and solid or filled.
- Other forms of chocolates – chocolate products which do not fall within previous definitions including boxed assortments, artisanal chocolates, other forms of gifting or wedding chocolates.
Chocolate biscuits, cakes, cake bars and wafers, as well as chocolate drinks, are excluded in the forecast, but are discussed where necessary.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.