Chocolate Confectionery - UK - April 2013
“Using more unusual flavour combinations in bars may appeal to the 28% of users who like trying chocolate with exciting flavours. Chilli flavours are now fairly commonplace in premium block and boxed chocolates and could add an exciting twist to bars, as could a hint of sea salt in a caramel centre.”
– Alex Beckett, Senior Food Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Which NPD areas offer most potential in chocolate bars?
- How can manufacturers benefit from the growing over-65s population?
- To what extent do consumers believe ethically sourced chocolate is worth a price premium?
- How much of a deterrent is price inflation to demand?
Britain’s partiality to chocolate is indisputable as 94% of consumers bought chocolate confectionery in 2012 and 95% ate it, with filled bars and block chocolate the two most typically eaten types. However, underlying growth in the market has struggled. Price hikes, forced through from rising ingredient prices, have pushed up total value sales by 14.1% between 2007 and 2012, with volume sales falling by 3.5% over the period.
This report examines the UK retail market for chocolate confectionery. The market size includes sales through all retail channels including direct to consumer. Mintel defines the market as comprising packaged chocolate confectionery products, including the following segments:
- Block Chocolate Also referred to as tablet chocolate. Moulded blocks of chocolate that are broken into chunks to eat and are generally regarded as indulgence items. Key brands: Galaxy, Cadbury Dairy Milk, Lindt.
- Chocolate Straight Lines Also referred to as non-individually wrapped pieces. Bite-size chocolate products which are sold in a sharing bag or pouch. Key brands: Maltesers, M&M’s, CDM Buttons.
- Chocolate-filled Bars Also referred to as countlines.
- Chocolate bars that are eaten whole (as opposed to being broken into chunks), often contain a filling. Key brands: Mars, Snickers and Crunchie.
- Chocolate Confectionery Variety Packs Packs containing assorted chocolate items/brands. Also referred to as individually wrapped pieces. Key brand examples are Cadbury Roses, Nestlé Quality Street, Mars Celebrations.
- Confectionery Assortments Chocolate gift assortments that are packed in box. Products include boxed chocolates, chocolate-covered mints, liqueurs, toffee, fudge, marzipan, truffles and nut assortments.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.