Chocolate Confectionery - US - April 2013
“Increased concerns over obesity and related diseases as well as product price increases have caused some consumers to become weary of purchasing chocolate. The chocolate industry must address these challenges with products, packaging and marketing that addresses consumer concerns and invigorates consumer interest in the category.”
– Sarah Day Levesque, Food Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What factors are contributing to sluggish chocolate sales?
- What more can be done to promote occasional or regular indulgences?
- How can industry balance chocolate’s healthful properties and obesity concerns?
The chocolate confectionery industry has maintained slow growth over the past five years as the U.S. economy tries to slowly recover from recession. This growth was driven in large part by continued demand for affordable indulgence, an increased interest in high-quality artisanal foods, including chocolate, and price increases due to rising ingredient costs. Increased concern over obesity and related diseases as well as the threat of further price increases are expected to keep category growth at a minimum through 2017. The market already has begun to address these threats with new formulations and packaging that cater to consumers’ needs for better-for-you, convenient and reasonably priced chocolate but continued innovation will be necessary to fully engage consumers in the chocolate market.
Among the topics covered in this report are:
- What is driving the chocolate confectionery market as well as the current market size and future projections?
- How can chocolate confectionery companies address trends in healthy eating and concerns over obesity which may hinder sales growth in the category?
- Which companies have been the most aggressive in terms of marketing, product mix and product innovations, and are they in sync with what consumers are most interested in?
- What factors influence consumer behavior and what matters most to consumers?
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
This report covers chocolate confectionery products including those in bar, bag, and box form, and those sold year-round or seasonally for holidays. Primarily this includes chocolate that is sold in grocery outlets, such as supermarkets (conventional and natural), mass merchandisers, drug and convenience stores. However, the report also covers chocolate confectionery that is sold in specialty chocolate shops, such as Godiva, Lindt, Neuhaus, and Ghirardelli.
Take a look inside a sample report to see what you will receive: Download now.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.