Chocolate Confectionery - US - February 2015
“Chocolate confectionery is a treat. Nearly three quarters of consumers turn to these products as a treat, meaning the category will need to promise and meet this most basic expectation.”
– Beth Bloom, Food and Drink Analyst
This report answers the following questions:
- Are consumers noticing price increases?
- What’s the role of health in chocolate confectionery?
- What kind of innovation resonates with consumers?
Chocolate sales grew from 2009-14. Seasonal and box/bag/bar greater than 3.5 oz segments drive growth, with innovation fusing familiarity and specialization. Struggling snack size, gift box, and sugar-free sales limited the category to a 2.9% increase in 2014. Small bites and premium additions in other category segments poach snack size and gift box share, while sugar-free struggles with indulgent health-focused offerings in other categories, including chocolate spreads.
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
For purposes of this report, Mintel has segmented the chocolate confectionery market as follows:
- Bars/bags/boxes weighing 3.5 oz or more – excludes seasonal candies
- Bars/bags/boxes weighing less than 3.5 oz – includes novelty candies; excludes seasonal candies
- Seasonal – chocolate confections marketed for a specific holiday (eg, Halloween, Easter)
- Snack size – also known as fun size, sold in multicount bags/boxes
- Gift boxes – a variety of chocolates packaged in a box with most or all of the individual pieces presented unwrapped; excludes gift-boxed seasonal chocolates
- Sugar-free – chocolate confectionery sweetened with sugar alcohol or a sugar substitute.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.