Christmas Drinking - UK - November 2010
- Christmas is the perfect time for brands to attract 18-34 year-old drinkers. For example, over half (53%) of this age group who are Christmas drink buyers try something outside of their usual repertoire of drinks during the festive period.
- Alcohol manufacturers have an opportunity to help make people good hosts. For example, six in ten stock up for when guests come around, and they can benefit from party packs, containing small bottles of a variety of spirits and wines, to satisfy all guest’s tastes.
- Improved packaging that highlights limited editions or premium USPs such as vintage for wine or age for spirits is crucial in appealing to the 21 million adults who buy alcohol as a gift over Christmas. This is essential because these buyers include non-drinkers who lack detailed knowledge of key gifting products such as Scotch.
- Premium brands need to find ways to appeal to bargain hunters at Christmas rather than just rely on their name and prestige, as while three-quarters of UK alcohol buyers look for bargains at Christmas, a quarter also wants more expensive drinks than usual, with there being considerable overlap between the two needs.
- While older (55+) consumers are more likely to be better off at the moment, younger (18-34) adults still represent the most valuable target for alcohol producers at Christmas time. They are more optimistic that their finances will get better over the coming year and much more likely to see Christmas as a time for drinking in greater quantity.
- Online is an increasingly important retail channel for alcohol at Christmas. The three in ten UK adults Mintel identifies as most likely to spend comfortably over Christmas 2010 are 8% points more likely than average to use this method, which allows them to buy in bulk more conveniently.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.