Coffee - UK - February 2010
With rising prices and economic downturn at play between 2008 and 2009, the coffee market has managed to weather the storm well. Between 2005 and 2009 the UK market for in-home coffee achieved 17% growth in value, and although some of this is attributed to the hike in raw coffee and production costs, trading up has still been a key feature of this market.
- In 2007 and 2008, the rising price of coffee beans helped drive sales growth. With prices forecast to fall this year, coffee and coffee shop brands will need to cut prices or find new ways to justify higher prices.
- Instant coffee continues to dominate the market with 90% of 27m coffee-drinking consumers having drunk some kind of instant coffee in the last year.
- The 16-34 year old age group is almost twice as likely to make coffee at home using coffee beans as the average, highlighting both the lack of penetration among affluent older consumers and the impact that coffee bars have had in terms of promoting better quality coffee among younger drinkers.
- Even though coffee pods account for a fifth of spend in the roast and round category, consumer data show that they are only used by 14% of consumers, reflecting the high-spending nature of the coffee pod customer.
- Some 85% of people who drink ground coffee, beans or pods will also drink instant coffee whereas only 61% of instant coffee drinkers will drink from the ground category. Sizeable opportunities exist for suppliers who can persuade instant coffee drinkers to trade up to ground, beans or pods.
- As Fairtrade becomes more commonplace coffee brands need to find new ways to attract ethical/green consumers. One innovative new product in this sector of the market is Nescafe Green which highlights the health and functional benefits of coffee/coffee drinking.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.