Cold and Flu Remedies - UK - April 2013
“Growth in the market will be driven by continued product innovations and a boost in the population of children, impacting the children’s and parents’ OTC market. Opportunities exist in extending product ranges and innovating in faster-acting formulations and product formats.”
– Roshida Khanom, OTC and Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Will the market continue to show fluctuation?
- How can manufacturers remain competitive against own-label brands?
- How will changes in the population impact the category?
- Which areas of innovation are consumers most interested in?
The value of the OTC cold and flu market has seen an increase of 3.5% in 2012, driven by product innovations and competitive pricing. Despite growing competition from own-label brands, big brands have continued to perform well due to technological innovations, with faster acting formulas treating multiple symptoms. As consumers become increasingly price conscious, there are opportunities for brands to remain competitive by increasing their sphere of influence and extending product ranges to appeal to consumers outside of the traditional cold and flu season.
This report covers the UK consumer market for OTC cold and flu remedies, cough remedies and decongestants, as well as OTC painkillers, comprising: Cold remedies: for the treatment of colds, including capsules, tablets, syrups and liquid, powders, hot drinks, caplets and meltlets Decongestants: for the relief of stuffy, blocked up nasal passages, available as embrocation or rub nasal inhalants and oral decongestants Flu remedies:
- for the treatment of flu, including capsules, tablets, syrups and liquids, powders, hot drinks, caplets and meltlets
- Cough remedies: for the relief of coughing, available as syrups and liquids
- Medicated confectionary: for the relief of sore throats, nasal congestion and coughing.
- homeopathic and other complementary medicines products to treat secondary complications of colds and flu, such as vaporisers, steam facemasks or other hardware.
- Prescription-Only Medicines (POMs), which have to be prescribed by a suitably qualified person and dispensed by a pharmacist, are not included within the scope of this report, nor are flu immunisation jabs.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.