Color Cosmetics - US - July 2013
“Sustaining stronger rates of growth in the color cosmetics category will rely on new product innovation as well as the utilization of technology and expanded education efforts to help women better navigate this sometimes overwhelming category.”
-Shannon Romanowski, Beauty & Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can the color cosmetics category be easier to navigate, ultimately encouraging increased usage?
- What are the opportunities to increase usage of color cosmetics among older women?
- What impact is multifunctional makeup having on the category?
- What role will technology play in helping women engage with the color cosmetics category?
The color cosmetics category has grown slowly between 2008 and 2013 due to tough economic conditions combined with the highly crowded and competitive nature of the category. The category relies heavily on new product activity to drive sales, but this strategy can lead to a cluttered marketplace and encourage women to swap out current products to try new launches, instead of making incremental purchases. Multifunctional makeup could also be hindering category growth, as these products lead women to do more with less, potentially to the detriment of the category.
However, women are engaging with makeup and express interest in trying a variety of tools to better help them navigate the category. Online tutorials, beauty box subscriptions, and mobile apps are just some ways that brands and retailers can educate and inform women about products and trends. In addition, improved performance and ease of use claims garner high levels of interest, particularly among older women who remain an emerging and lucrative segment.
This report explores category dynamics including an analysis of sales and market share trends by retail channel and brands, an examination of marketing strategies and social media efforts, and exclusive Mintel consumer research into usage, behaviors, attitudes, and new opportunities concerning the color cosmetics category.
For the purposes of this report, the color cosmetics market has been segmented as follows:
- Eye cosmetics—eye shadow, eyeliner, eyebrow pencils, mascara
- Facial cosmetics—foundation, facial powder, concealer, blush/blusher, bronzer
- Lip cosmetics—lipstick, lip pencils, pots, palettes, lip gloss
- Also included within the facial cosmetics segment are BB creams. BB creams are defined as products that provide both facial skincare and color cosmetic benefits.
- Other multiuse cosmetics, such as foundation with functional skincare benefits, are also covered, although they are not separately estimated as a market size segment.
Excluded from the scope of this report:
- Nail care products and nail accessories. This market is covered in Mintel’s Nail Color and Care, U.S. January 2013.
- Body-glitter products
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.