Colour Cosmetics - UK - July 2013
“Consumers are continually looking for ways to save time. Growth opportunities for colour cosmetics products lie in creating products which are quicker and easier to use to appeal to modern women.”
– Charlotte Libby, Household and Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How will employment levels in the UK affect the colour cosmetics markets?
- What are the emerging new product claims in 2013?
- How can BB creams command a daily use?
- How can the make-up sector offer more convenience?
Colour cosmetics retain their high penetration thanks to the importance placed on maintaining an attractive appearance. The market was valued at £1.43 billion in 2012 with further growth of 2% expected in 2013.
While all sectors of the market saw growth, certain products such as nail polish and foundation performed better than others thanks to a host of innovation, whilst lipstick also continued to grow due to the increasing emergence of anti-ageing claims to appeal to its older user base. For the first time value sales of nail polish have exceeded those of lip colour cosmetics, marking a growing consumer interest in the product and the self-expression it allows. BB creams garnered interest from young, experimental women and those looking to save time in their beauty regime, but have yet to become a make-up bag staple for the vast majority of women. Product developments in the category focus on harnessing an ageing population’s interest in maintaining a youthful appearance with product claims including anti-ageing and brightening/illuminating seeing a pronounced increase.
Products covered in this report
The UK retail make-up of the colour cosmetics market is defined as all colour cosmetics for women. This represents four categories:
- Face make-up: foundation, blushers, illuminators, face-bronzing lotions, creams and powders, loose and pressed powders, mineral powders. Although BB creams can incorporate brands not necessarily solely confined to face make-up, a market estimate is included and treated as part of this market. Usage of BB creams is also considered in the consumer research sections of this report.
- Eye make-up: eye shadows, eyeliners, eyebrow pencils, kohl and mascara, mineral powders.
- Lip make-up: lipstick, lip glosses, lip pencils, lip plumpers, pots and palettes.
- Nail make-up: nail varnishes and polishes, hardeners and strengtheners, base and top coat.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.