Complete Canned Meals and Meats - UK - March 2010
- Value sales of canned meals and meats increased by 14.8% between 2007 and 2009 to reach an estimated £770 million in 2009.
- Almost 13m consumers buy branded canned meals/meat, yet 8m feel there is no difference in taste between own label and branded product.
- Baked beans have continued to outperform canned pasta, meat and poultry in the canned food category. Their growth has been supported by continuous NPD from manufacturers like Heinz.
- With tightening budgets and relatively less disposable income, almost 14m consumers buy canned meals/meats because they make a cheap meal.
- Canned foods have faced competition for other convenience foods, like chilled and frozen ready meals, as well as the ever-expanding market for meal kits. The often unfavourable perception of canned foods has not changed despite consumers facing more financial pressures.
- Manufacturers of canned meals and meats should better communicate the nutritional credentials of their product ranges as 5m would be eat more of them if they were better informed of their nutritional value.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.