Condiments - US - December 2013
“Competition from away-from-home dining, coupled with consumer health concerns, can potentially hinder future condiment category growth. However, the increasingly blurred lines between condiments, cooking sauces, and dressings present an opportunity for product development, flavor innovation, and the marketing of expanded usage occasions.”
– Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
This report will look at the following areas:
- How can the highly saturated market continue to appeal to consumers?
- How will increases in away-from-home food spending impact the market?
- Will health concerns negatively impact consumer condiment use?
The $5.6 billion US condiment industry has grown 10% from 2008-13 as greater interest in eating at home in the post-recession economy helped boost sales.
While growth was largest in the period immediately following the onset of the recession, the category is now challenged to increase sales as household penetration rates of many condiments have stabilized. Greater competition from increased away-from-home spending on food also will impact the category. Consumer interest in condiments with health-based claims, as well as hot and spicy flavors, will help drive product innovation. Further, the increasingly blurred lines between condiments, sauces, and dressings will help create expanded usage occasions across the category’s segments.
Mintel here provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- How different condiment segments have been performing in recent years, and how new product innovation (including foodservice) is impacting sales trends for the category as a whole, and in each of its segments
- Which brands are gaining, which are losing, and why within the market
- Current product positioning (including TV ads, online and digital promotional efforts) and what marketing strategies make the most sense given the various target audiences that manufacturers are trying to connect with to maximize sales opportunities
- How condiments factor into home meal preparation and their distinctive appeal to different consumer demographics
- The effects of nutritional issues, such as concerns about gluten and sodium, and their impact on consumer behavior
- Flavor preferences by condiment type and whether there are standard flavors that interest consumers
- The attitudes and behaviors of condiment users, including purchase decision criteria, foods used with condiments, and more
The products covered in this report include:
- Meat sauces (steak and Worcestershire sauces)
- Other sauces (hot sauces, cocktail sauces, dairy sauces, horseradish sauces, seafood sauces)
The following were included in the previous report (Condiments—US, August 2012) but are excluded from this report:
- Ethnic (Mexican, Asian) sauces such as salsa and soy sauce
- Barbecue sauces
- Marinated vegetables/fruit
- Olives, peppers, pimentos
- Salad dressings also are outside the scope of this report.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.