Contraceptives - US - July 2012
Sales in a variety of categories declined during the recession. However sales of OTC contraceptives spiked in 2009 and continued to grow in 2010 and 2011. While this growth is encouraging, it is also apparent that few manufacturers and retailers have been able to fully capitalize on growing demand for sexual health and wellness products that help protect against pregnancy and, in some cases, add to sexual pleasure.
In order to provide insight that can be used to develop effective messaging and products that will resonate with contraceptive users, Mintel has published this report which addresses the following questions:
- How have sales of male and female OTC contraceptives fluctuated in recent years and how are they likely to change in the future?
- Who are the leading brands in the category and what are they doing to drive growth?
- How is innovation impacting sales and what types of products have performed well in recent years?
- What methods of birth control are most common in the U.S. and which are used most often by young adults and other high-value segments?
- How are demographic shifts in the U.S likely to impact the market? For instance, the report describes how the rapid growth of the Hispanic segment, which over-indexes on condom usage, is likely to drive future sales growth?
- What most often drives consumers to use contraceptives (e.g., pregnancy prevention vs. STD prevention)?
- What are common condom-related perceptions within various demographic segments and how do these perceptions encourage or discourage usage?
- How are leading companies marketing their products and what types of communication are likely to resonate with high value segments such as young adults?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.