Cooking Sauces, Pasta Sauces and Stocks - Europe - November 2011
Cooking sauces currently walk a tightrope between improving quality and improving convenience. They are still regarded by many with scepticism, with regards to their naturalness and freshness, and so added product quality should present a clear opportunity. Families are also key consumers and so healthy sauces should perform well. However, as household sizes reduce and the number of single person households increases, one portion packs might be more successful.
– James Manley, European Food and Drink Analyst
Cooking sauces are liked for their convenience, but viewed sceptically with regards to their freshness and naturalness. However, innovation remains high, and exciting new tastes compensate for poor credentials elsewhere. New ‘free-from’ lines can also win over health-aware consumers.
With pasta sauces having the largest presence, much depends on what happens in Italy, and discouraging results there bode poorly for Europe as a whole. Still, price rises – partly reflecting more expensive raw materials, but also more sophisticated lines – help value if not volume sales. Families are the key consumers. Sauces appeal to children, but can also add exotic tastes to jaded adult palates. However, with household size shrinking, products conceived for small households may be a good focus for growth.
Some key points from the report include:
- Should sauces be pitched simply as convenience lines, laying no great claim to freshness or naturalness?
- Will sauces sell better on traditional/local appeal, or on exotic image? With food-mile ideology implying that local is good traditional and local recipes could be well-placed to make a come-back?
- Can lines be successfully extended towards smaller households? Given that large size packs are generally considered more economical, both in terms of money and packaging, small portions can seem extravagant in an age of austerity. Freshness is however one good selling point for single-portion packs, avoiding half-finished opened pots in the fridge. Can more single-portion benefits be promoted?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.