Cough, Cold, Flu and Allergy Remedies - US - April 2014
“Despite increasing sales, the cough, cold, flu, and allergy market is up against several challenges. Most consumers seek to prevent getting sick, lessening the need for remedies to treat their ailments. Additionally, it is difficult to predict the severity of a given cold or flu season. Providing ways to help consumers get the exact product to fit their needs can help to increase brand loyalty.”
– Emily Krol, Health and Wellness Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Does consumers changing approach to health present an opportunity for product expansion?
- How can brands get sufferers to try new products when most know how to treat ailments from prior experience?
- How can brands capitalize on the growth of homeopathic/natural products?
Recent severe cold, flu, and allergy seasons have helped to lift sales of remedies to treat these ailments. Additionally, Nasacort became available without a prescription in early 2014, which could boost future sales of nasal products to treat allergies.
A desire for more natural remedies has consumers seeking alternative choices to traditional OTC (over the counter) cough, cold, flu, and allergy remedies. Sales of both private label brands and homeopathic/herbal remedies have increased, which may encroach on traditional OTC remedies in the future. Awareness of the importance of getting a flu vaccine has grown, thanks to heavy marketing support.
This report will explore consumer attitudes toward and use of products that treat cough, cold, flu, and allergy symptoms. Purchasing habits – such as stocking up on remedies when products are on sale – will be also explored, along with consumer behaviors to prevent illness.
This report will include all remedies which can be purchased over the counter without a prescription to relieve symptoms of colds, flu, allergies, sore throat, coughs, and congestion.
- Cold, flu, allergy, and sinus remedies including: tablets, capsules, liquids, powders, and hot drinks for treating cold/flu and/or allergy symptoms as well as nasal and chest congestion.
- Nasal remedies including: sprays, drops, inhalers; nasal strips; nasal aspirators.
- Cough/throat remedies, including: cough/sore throat drops; cough syrups/sore throat liquids medicine.
The market size includes sales of select homeopathic and herbal brands. Mintel also examines sales of herbal and homeopathic products marketed for cold, flu, and allergy relief in the natural channel market.
Not included in the report:
- Internal and external pain relievers (see Analgesics – US, July 2013).
- Stomach remedies to treat the “stomach flu” (see Mintel’s Gastrointestinal Remedies – US, November 2013). According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.
This report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Cold, Flu and Allergy Remedies – US, April 2013, as well as the 2011, 2007, 2005, and 2002 reports of the same title. Additional historic reports including Mintel’s Cough and Throat Remedies – US, May 2012, and May 2010, as well as Cough, Cold and Sore Throat Remedies – US, May 2009, and Cough and Throat Remedies – US, May 2008, February 2006, and Allergies and Allergy Remedies – US, February 2009 will also serve as a basis to the report.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.