Department Store Retailing - Europe - March 2011
The European mixed goods market has faced significant challenges throughout the recession in the major Western European markets:
- Low consumer confidence as well as increasing competition from specialist operators has impacted on performance.
- Only the Netherlands avoided declines in mixed goods retail sales, although this was unlikely to have been driven by the department stores.
Going forwards we expect:
- Growth to return across the majority of the markets covered in this report. However, the mixed goods sector will typically underperform against the wider retailer sector as other spend areas recover faster.
- Continued economic uncertainty will impact on Ireland with a return to mixed goods sector growth unlikely to be seen in the short term.
Mintel European Retail Intelligence provides independent, expert coverage of the major retail sectors throughout Europe. Each title in this series analyses retailing trends in up to 19 European markets, including the Scandinavian nations and Eastern European countries such as the Czech Republic and Poland as well as the major Western European markets.
The coverage provided by each report is as accurate, relevant and up-to-date as possible, combining in-house sector expertise with retailer performance data, taken directly from industry and trade sources.
With titles ranging from 'DIY Retailing in Europe' through to 'Food Retailing in Europe', each market examination includes studies of:
- background economic and demographic data
- market sizes
- regional retailing trends and issues
- market drivers
- consumer expenditure
- consumer trends
- leading pan-European retailers
- domestic retailers
- market forecasts
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.