Department Store Retailing - Spain - March 2011
- The Spanish economy emerged from recession in the second quarter of 2010 although the outlook remains uncertain. A full year GDP contraction is expected for 2010 while performance in 2011 will depend on the government’s ability to push through further cuts as well as the recovery of key trading partners.
- Consumer confidence has declined markedly as a result of the tougher economic climate. Most mixed goods product categories have suffered spend declines, apart from personal care which has remained more robust.
- €63 billion (incl. VAT) was spent on key products sold at department stores in 2009. These include apparel, personal care and household goods (incl. electricals). This represents a contraction in recent years with performance well behind growth in all spending.
- Spain’s ageing population could be a boost to the sector given older demographics are likely to find the convenience of shopping under one roof appealing while also seeking good quality.
- However, with the economic outlook so bleak, the mixed goods sector is expected to suffer further contractions until around 2013. Price competition from both specialists and other non-specialists such as the grocers is also expected to impact on the sector.
- El Corté Inglés is the only recognised specialist multiple in the sector. However, this one chain accounts for 60% of sector sales.
- The main competition to the market leader comes from specialist retailers in areas such as clothing, health & beauty and home, as well as from hypermarkets.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.