Dieting and Weight Control Foods - UK - November 2010
- Low fat/calorie foods with added health benefits would appeal to the over 45 year olds who form the core of the weight control foods market. These consumers are more likely to be looking to change their diet to improve their health.
- As men are more likely to agree that they are more interested in taste than calorie/fat content, they would be more interested in weight control foods and promotional campaigns that stress taste and the quality of ingredients used rather than just the low fat/calorie message.
- Young adults (teenagers) are more likely to change their diet to make themselves more attractive indicating an opportunity for diet programmes and weight control foods that target these younger consumers and their specific needs, rather than simply focusing on their traditional audience of older females.
- Just under two thirds of consumers prefer foods that are naturally low in fat/calories which suggests a sizeable opportunity for natural weight loss foods, promoting ingredients and provenance and any additional health benefits rather than just focusing on calorie or fat content.
- The two fifths of consumers who agree that low-fat foods have improved in taste and quality recently would be receptive to cross category promotions that encourage consumption, and introduce low-fat food enthusiasts to new categories.
- A wider range of portion sizes should be of interest to the quarter of consumers that feel that low-fat/calorie and slimming foods are not sufficiently filling, so they end up eating more of them. On pack instructions on how to further bulk-out these dishes could also tap into trends that see consumers customising their own food.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.