Digestive Health - US - July 2016
"After experiencing solid sales in 2014-15, growth in the digestive health market is expected to soften somewhat in 2016. The majority of consumers are turning to some form of OTC (over-the-counter) digestive remedy for treatment, with antacids accounting for the largest share of all digestive health remedy sales. Looking forward, the need for digestive health treatments is not expected to change; however, interest in improving overall digestive health with proactive treatments such as probiotics continues to grow."
- Marissa Gilbert, Health and Wellness Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Market sales soften after two years of strong growth
- Some adults opting not to treat digestive issues
- Safety concerns exist over the long-term health effects of OTC product use
This market research report focuses on products marketed for digestive health or digestive relief that are available OTC/without a prescription.
For the purposes of this Report, the digestive health market has been segmented as follows:
- Antacids: Products that neutralize excess stomach acid and relieve heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion. Including:
- PPI (proton pump inhibitors): Products that reduce the production of acid by blocking the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid.
- H2 blockers: Products that reduce or inhibit the secretion of gastric acid by binding competitively with histamine to H2 receptors on cell membranes.
- Antiflatulents: Products that help reduce gas buildup and its associated discomfort.
- Laxatives: Products that relieve constipation and work in one of several ways, either by introducing fiber to the bowel, stimulating the bowel, or softening stools.
- Stomach remedies and antidiarrheals: Products that relieve general nausea and settle the stomach and products that slow spasms of the intestine and thicken stool.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.