Dishwashing Detergents - UK - November 2010
The market for dishwashing products includes two main kinds of products: detergents for hand dishwashing; and detergents for automatic dishwashers. Over 2005-10 the total market grew by 24% to reach £460 million.Market growth has been driven by new product development and premiumisation in dishwashing detergents, particularly dishwasher tablets. As the number of households with dishwashers continues to grow, this will maintain a high level of demand for dishwasher detergents and ancillaries.Consumers are spending more of their spare time at home and many have opted to eat out less and dine at home more. This creates more dishwashing, both by hand and in automatic dishwashers.
- A lack of loyalty and focus on value when buying dishwashing detergents is particularly evident among the under-25s: 58% switch brands when a special offer is available (5 percentage points above average) and 35% buy whatever’s cheapest (10 percentage points above average). Breeding familiarity and affection is crucial to gaining long-term loyalty from this age group.
- TGI data reveal a steep decline in the proportion of 7-14s who regularly help out around the house: 58% of 7-14-year-olds surveyed in 2006 said they had participated in a chore in the last seven days; in 2010, this figure had halved to 29%. Brands could encourage children to take an interest, perhaps with a charitable link to helps improve poorer children’s quality of life, eg Water Aid.
- Almost half (46%) of those who buy dishwashing products agree that own-label dishwashing detergents are good value, but only a quarter usually buy them. The main weakness is performance, as three in ten do not think own-label products perform as well as the branded alternatives.
- Over many decades, Fairy Liquid has made a feature of its mild formula. These days, cosmetics manufacturers are taking softer skin to new levels with dermatological claims.Could washing-up brands expand into protective washing-up gloves impregnated with moisturisers or a washing-up after-care hand cream?.
- Economic hardship has led to a change of heart about the environment. One 35-44-year old ABC1 male said in our online discussion group: “I am not too bothered about environmental concerns and they [environmentally-friendly dishwashing products] are overpriced and do not work as well as normal dishwasher products. It’s just a fad, all the environmental talk and an excuse for us all to pay more for products.”
- New and unusual fragrances are being introduced, especially in hand dishwashing products. These often accompany other claims, such as being kinder to hands or skin. Fairy Scent Sensations provides ‘aromatherapy for your dishes’, for example. Fresh fragrances that help neutralise cooking smells in the kitchen could be popular, co-ordinating with air neutralisers such as Febreze and Oust.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.