DIY Retailing - UK - February 2011
This report looks at the retailing of DIY and associated homewares products in the UK. The sector has experienced very tough trading conditions in the last few years, a downturn that started well before the onset of recession in 2008 and which shows no sign of coming to an end.
- The number of people claiming to do DIY has been falling steadily. Over the last five years there has been a fall of 4 percentage points to about 56% of the adult population, that's 2 million fewer people undertaking DIY projects.
- That is not to say that the market has disappeared, Some 20 million people plan to do some DIY this year, while 4.5 million plan to undertake a major project. That figure would be 3 million higher had some people not abandoned projects to save money.
- Some 18% of consumers, 9 million people, say that they are doing DIY themselves in order to save money. Some of these people would otherwise have employed tradesmen. There has certainly been a small drift back to doing DIY because of the recession.
- In the longer term, the ageing population is bad news for DIY retailers because older people are less able to or willing to take on such jobs. But over the next five years the number of people in the 25-55 age band - the most important for doing DIY- will actually grow by some 3% and that is marginally faster than over the last five years.
- All the leaders are introducing eco-friendly and energy saving products, in part in response to pressure from the government which is keen to meet targets. Yet only 8% of people would like to see more in store.
- B&Q is rated highly by customers for the quality of advice from its staff and there is clearly demand for advice. There is generally a lack of expertise and many are keen to improve.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.