DIY Retailing - UK - March 2010
The DIY market has been hard hit by the recession because it has come on top of a declining trend that has been evident for the last five years. Nor is there any short term prospect of recovery. Consumers’ incomes are likely to be squeezed both this year and next and the housing market could well see a second fall. It may not actually be a double dip recession, but that is what it will feel like for consumers.
- The popularity of DIY is declining. In the last five years the number of people doing DIY has fallen by almost 2 million.
- The decline is greatest in the over 35s. Since 2006 the numbers of 25 to 35s doing DIY has stabilised.
- Superstores still dominate the sector, but non-specialists are increasingly important. As many people buy DIY from Wilkinsons as from Focus.
- The non-specialists – supermarkets, Wilkinsons, Argos etc – are proving more popular with the young. That should be a source of concern for the superstores.
- The young have a high opinion of their DIY skills. Older people tend to be more modest.
- Browsing stores for ideas is popular with 13 million people liking it. The young (under 25s) in particular rate superstores as idea centres.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.