DIY Retailing - UK - May 2015
"The outlook for the DIY market is tough. We think that the recent strength in the sector – spending rose by 10% in 2014 to £14.2 billion and should grow by another 7.5% in 2015 – is catch-up spending after the recession. In the longer term the combined impact of an ageing population and the trend towards living in inner cities will hit DIY demand and push some of it towards tradesmen, who are more likely to use builders’ merchants."
This report covers the following issues:
- Structural changes are having a profound effect on the market
- A re-evaluation of the superstore?
- Have we seen the recovery or is there more to come?
These demographic changes will in turn lead to structural changes for DIY retailing. The long term, slow decline of the superstores will continue as consumers find that their more limited requirements for DIY goods can be satisfied by high street based retailers, whether specialists like Robert Dyas, or generalists like Wilko.
This report is designed to give an overview of the UK DIY/home improvements market. This includes an overview of market forecasts for future developments, in depth consumer analysis using our own data and a look at the key players in the market in the form of our company profiles.
We provide two DIY market sizes within this report:
- The first is provided in the Sector Size and Forecast section and covers the specialist DIY/hardware store market, including a five-year forecast.
- The second is covered in the Consumer Spending on DIY Products section which covers total consumer spending on DIY products. This market size includes elements of spending on materials, furniture, furnishings and carpets, appliances, tools and equipment and gardening products.
For our consumer research this year we asked questions surrounding the following areas:
- Which retailer consumers have purchased DIY/ home improvement products from in the past 12 months, either in-store or online.
- How satisfied consumers are overall with their experience of retailers and how satisfied they are surrounding a number of distinct factors.
- Which types of DIY products consumers have bought in the last 12 months.
- Which types of DIY/home improvements consumers expect to do to their home in the next 12 months and who they expect to do them.
- A series of attitudinal statements relating to DIY/home improvements and DIY/home improvement retailers.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.