Domestic Rail Travel - UK - January 2010
This report examines the UK’s rail travel market (excluding commuting), investigating the core market factors, consumer dynamics and targeting opportunities, key strengths and weaknesses, the likely prospects regarding investment, the market’s future, how the recession has impacted, innovations of relevance and exclusive consumer research.
- The recession has meant an end to year-on-year growth in rail journeys. There will be an estimated 1,215 million in 2009/10, down 59 million from 2008/09.
- Consumer attitudes toward rail are hardening. Almost 30 million people believe that train tickets in the UK are too expensive – approximately 7 million more than did so in 2007.
- Only 3.5 million think rail travel represents value for money. Widespread confusion appears to reign over booking and finding best prices – fewer than 12 million believe that booking train tickets is easy enough.
- Some 3.6 million adults can be categorised as fans of rail travel. However, even here, over half think it’s too expensive.
- 4.6 million are green-friendly, stating that trains’ environmental friendliness motivates them to use the railways.
- Overall, more than 9 million adults are generally positive towards rail travel, while over 12 million can be seen as negative.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.