Domestic Tourism - UK - December 2009
This report provides an overview of the market for domestic holidays, investigating the core market factors, strengths and weaknesses, consumer dynamics and likely future developments.
- The British took 42.3 million domestic holidays in 2009, according to Mintel’s estimate. For the first time in over five years, this was greater than the number of holidays abroad.
- 22-24 million, or 44-47% of the adult population, are estimated to have taken a holiday in the UK during 2009.
- The average amount spent per-person fell £10 year-on-year to £244. Operators and hoteliers have been forced to discount, and cheaper, budget breaks and attractions have benefited the most.
- Almost 13 million adults took an independent holiday of four-plus nights and nearly 9 million took independent short breaks – up from around 7.5 million and 6 million respectively in 2007.
- 2.5 million adults opted to take a full-blown home-based ‘staycation’ – a holiday from their normal routine, but returning to their own home to sleep.
- Despite the UK’s increased popularity, negative perceptions remain. Around 13 million still regard overseas holidays as better value, 15 million see UK accommodation as too expensive and 10 million say eating out in Britain costs too much.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.