DVD Players - UK - March 2010
- Manufacturers’ price cuts and greater education of consumers will be required to increase Blu-ray drive adoption in 2010. Standard DVD players remain by far the most widely used technology (78% of respondents), whereas newer formats such as Blu-ray remain underused (just 11%).
- DVD players have been relegated in importance compared to other living room gadgets with 18% of respondents saying they are using personal video recorders more.
- Extra functionality is a key differentiator between basic and more expensive DVD players. But the challenge for manufacturers is to show how increased functionality is relevant to users, particularly over 55-year olds who are the most likely group to say increased functionality isn’t important.
- Despite increased marketing efforts by console manufacturers, few respondents download films to watch on their Xboxes and PS3s. What are the barriers to greater consumption of movie entertainment this way, and what lessons could Microsoft and Sony take from the music industry to encourage sales?
- Given the success of 3D movie features such as Avatar in the cinema, the DVD player market could be given a boost: Samsung is expected to be the first to market with a 3DTV and 3D Blu-ray player package in May 2010.
- Men are the more likely to seek out more advanced DVD players, such as Blu-ray. Manufacturers are now actively targeting women by focussing on more emotional marketing appeals and sponsorship of female-friendly events.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.