E-Commerce - UK - February 2010
- Internet penetration has reached a plateau at around 70% of the population. Shopping is a key activity for anyone with online access – 90% of those with Internet connections say they have bought something in the last year.
- And the popularity of buying online has increased in spite of the recession. Some 42% of consumers say they have bought more than last year against 16% who say they have bought less.
- But the recession has hit the willingness to buy higher ticket price items and there has been a small net reduction in the number of people buying higher value goods.
- The most enthusiastic online shoppers are those in the 25-45 age range. They are the group that is most time pressured and has taken on most commitments. The 18-25 year-olds tend to prefer going to shops.
- Satisfaction with online shopping is high and there is a general perception that the quality of service is very good. But the young (under 25s) are noticeably more impatient than older age groups.
- Delivery ought to be one of the major problems for any form of home shopping. That is why there is a high take up of services such as Argos’ which allow customers to reserve goods and then collect them from the store (22% say they do that). But other alternatives, such as collecting from a local C-store, or having goods delivered to work are much less popular (3% and 5% respectively).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.