Ethnic Beauty - UK - October 2009
- The 7.3 million strong ethnic population is growing faster than the white population in the UK. This expansion offers strong growth opportunities for cosmetics and toiletries products that target the UK’s non-white population.
- Teenagers and pre-teens are more strongly represented within the ethnic community than amongst white people. Young people tend to be more experimental and are an important target group for beauty products.
- 12% of the total population are non-whites, however, ethnic beauty products represent just 1% of all new haircare, skincare and make-up launches. The ethnic market has a long way to go to be brought in-line with the demographic make-up of the UK population.
- Ethnic beauty brands show a lack of resources to fund above the line spend which is seeing a downward slide. When ethnic brands do advertise, they typically use the specialist press rather than mainstream glossies and this may be motivated by keeping costs down.
- Most ethnic brands are sold through independent specialist retailers and through wholesalers. However, supermarkets are the number one place for non-white adults to buy cosmetics and toiletries. Mainstream retailers need to become more engaged with specialist manufacturers and brands.
- Ethnic women, younger age groups and those on a higher income demonstrate the highest levels of interest in the cosmetics and toiletries sector and represent the key demographics to target new products at.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.