Ethnic Foods - US - January 2012
An increasingly diverse population and more frequent home cooking helped the ethnic food market continue to grow in 2011, reaching nearly $3 billion in sales. However, the 3.5% growth during this time is the slowest seen in the category over the five years prior. Signs of an improving economy may have driven some consumers back to restaurants, where they might find a more authentic ethnic food experience at the hands of professional chefs, or simply obtain fast and convenient meal options at a reasonable cost.
Staving off future slowdowns will require close attention to consumer interests and behavior. Furthermore, marketers must focus on strong new products that will attract consumer attention and empower them to feel confident about incorporating ethnic food into home meal plans.
This report focuses on Mexican/Hispanic, Asian, Indian, and “other” ethnic food sales data primarily, and analyzes consumer and new product data on more than 20 ethnic cuisines. In addition to presenting sales data by segment, supplier and brand, the report considers a range of topics, including:
- Key trends that are influencing the ethnic food market
- Major market drivers and their impact on the overall competitive environment
- Sales opportunities that out-of-home consumption offers ethnic food manufacturers
- The performance of various category segments, and what they are doing to build sales momentum
- How manufacturers are generating excitement for the sector via their latest product innovations
- The role that key demographic factors such as race, household income, and gender play in the ethnic food category, and its impact for both the short and long term
- Media strategies that industry leaders are using to reach consumers
- Changes in ethnic food preparation and consumption and what they mean moving forward
- The increasing importance of authenticity and convenience in a burgeoning retail market
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.