Ethnic Restaurants and Takeaways - UK - August 2010
This report investigates consumers’ use of varying types of ethnic outlets and gauges their opinion on this area of the eating out market. It also highlights what consumers feel is currently missing from the market and what they would like to see on menus going forward.
- Nearly half of ethnic restaurant/takeaway users like to try dishes they haven’t had before, which should prompt operators in this market to ensure that they are offering diners regularly changing specials menus.
- Younger consumers have the time, freedom and desire to eat out of home at ethnic restaurants more often compared to older consumers (eg aged 35-44) who are more likely to order ethnic takeaways/home deliveries due to family commitments.
- Venues should focus on offering free tasters, particularly to young women who tend to say that they would like to try something different but don’t in case they don’t like it. This would encourage wider menu usage and prompt upselling.
- The “curryless Indian restaurant” and takeaway Dim Dum also provide market opportunities for ethnic restaurants as nearly a third of consumers want a range of healthy options and around a quarter are looking for smaller/tapas-like dishes.
- Operators could do more to breed familiarity with ethnic dishes by showing photos of products online. This would satisfy the 30% of ethnic restaurant diners who would like to see more photos of dishes on ethnic restaurant menus going forward, without dumbing down the hardcopy menus in the restaurant itself.
- Caribbean food represents a significant opportunity for the market as the Levi Roots phenomenon has grown in recent years, increasing consumers expose to this type of cuisine. This also ties into the fact that over a quarter of consumers would try alternative ethnic restaurants if there were more in their area.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.