Family Dining - UK - December 2009
This report examines:
1. how the change in traditional family mealtimes and meal occasions is impacting on people’s shopping behaviour
2. how convenience foods and a snacking culture are changing family dining habits, and understand what this means for marketeers, retailers and suppliers.
- Almost two-thirds of families eat something light for lunch, but have a proper evening meal. With the evening meal being so important, retailers must offer families quick and easy-to-prepare meal solutions.
- Because a third of families plan what they eat on a day-to-day basis, food advertisers need to reach consumers when they are most receptive to the advertising message, such as using outdoor media (billboards) and radio advertising (during drive-time shows) .
- At the weekend, a quarter of families eat together more often, opening up opportunities for manufacturers not just to catch the consumer’s eye in the run-up to the weekend but to take ownership of it.
- People in families are more likely to feel inclined to sit at the dinner table as a result of having children, making this an opportune moment for parents to reinforce the healthy eating message.
- Retailers should look to expand their meal deals, such as M&S Dine in for £10, to target families who need larger portion sizes, particularly as families are more likely to have cut back on eating out.
- Two-fifths of families can be described as “Convenience Rulers”: they value family meals, and they also value convenience meal options making them key targets for cooking sauce, ready meal and other such manufacturers.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.